5.06.2011

my mothers

With mother's day coming up in a few days I've been thinking a lot about my mothers.
My mom has always been a wonderful mom! She is, to me, the ideal mom. Now I could go on and on about my mom, but here are a few things I love about her.
I never realized how much my mom actually did until I became a wife and a mother myself. My mom was so good to have dinner for our family, clean the kitchen, pick up after our silly messes, do the laundry, take out the trash, use her money to give to us for wants etc etc. It's hard to always have to dishes done and know what to fix for dinner. Seems simple, right?? harder than it looks, but she did it!
I'm grateful for my mom's testimony. She is always willing to share it in letters or notes. It's exciting talking to my mom about the scriptures or what we know to be true. I loved having my mom in Young Women's a few times while growing up to see her example. She truly did strive to bring our family together for prayer or scripture study. I could tell it was important to her.
Over the last few years I feel like I have become closer to my mom. She is more than my mother. She is my best friend. It's been hard being away from her. Now I know we are only an hour and 20 minutes away, but I wish we were neighbors. I love how she gets excited when we come to visit. I hate driving home after being with my family. I'm grateful to have my own little family with Caden and Mags, don't get me wrong, but there is just something about being close to your mom.
I know she loves me when she drives to our house just to visit for a few hours, and by slowing down on our bike ride to be close to me during a steep hill, by opening up her day to do my hair and visit when I come down, by giving me advice and assuring me I'm being a good mother.
I love you Mom!
IMG_0697
Four years ago on May 9 I lost my second mother. I only met Roene a handful of times before she past away suddenly a few months before our wedding, but I know she would have been more like my second mother than a "mother-in-law". I have heard countless stories from Caden and family about how wonderful she was, but I want to share just a few of the memories I have of her that describe the type of mother she was and would have been to me.
A few days after Caden and I got engaged, she was so excited! She thanked me for saying yes to him (which made me laugh), and we started talking about wedding plans. She wanted me to try on her wedding dress. Even though it was hitting me six inches above the floor, she was thrilled with excitement to see me in it. "Carl! Carl! do you see her! I can't believe I was that skinny. It looks so pretty!! Carl, do you see?" She then told me things about her life and advice to a happy marriage.
One night, Caden and I were coming home from a weekend in St. George right after our proposal. We got to his house at probably 2 am, and there was Roene in her teal nightgown waiting up for us, thankful we were home safe.
Around easter time I remember her giving me an easter basket, lotion and earrings. "I'm so excited to have a girl to buy stuff for!" she told me. (Caden being an only child)
I loved the way she would call Caden everyday, literally EVERYday, when we were at snow college. I just know that she would have treated me like a daughter and would have called almost EVERYday.
She loved to be silly and make people happy. I could tell one day as I came to visit Caden. She was giggling and laughing with her sisters making christmas chocolates. She had a laugh that was contagious.
She was so excited to have grandkids. She told me she wanted a dozen!
I wish she was here to see Maggie. I wonder what she would do, what she would say, how things would be different, but I'm grateful for her love and example for the short time I knew her.
Still 3
I'm so lucky to have wonderful mothers! I hope I can be a good mother just like they are.

3 comments:

Owens Family said...

Your stories about Roene almost brought me to tears because she really was such a wonderful and sweet lady. When we were all in HS and would hang out at Caden's house she treated us like her children and always made sure we had food to eat ect. I don't doubt you are going to be just as great as your mothers you spoke of. Beautiful post Megan:)

Sheffers said...

Thanks for sharing that Megan. These mothers and you motivate me to be a better Mother! HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to you!!!

Jocelyn Meacham said...

AHHHHHH! sniff, sniff, THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH MEGAN!!! I love being a mother and grandma so much. It is the best and happiest thing in my life, next to the Savior and the gospel!! I love my family!! I love your thoughts on Roene too, I miss her and I wished I could have gotten to know her better. I'm sure she looks down on you and Caden and Maggie often and can't wait to hold you all!!!!!! Love you to the moon and back!